Pencil in these tax deductions for tax time!
These are the typical tax deductions for Receptionists, Administrators and Office Workers.
Everyones job is different, for some all will apply and for others only some will apply. The information provided is general in nature and subject to change, please contact one of our professionals who can evaluate your circumstances and provide more accurate advice to your current situation.
Motor Vehicle Expenses
You can claim a tax deduction for your motor vehicle if:
You are driving from your workplace to another workplace (e.g. attending a meeting, to collect mail from the post office, office supply runs, banking etc.)
You are driving between separate workplaces (e.g. to a second job) *to claim your car expenses you need to keep a 12 week consecutive logbook to work out your work-related percentage, or you need to keep a record of the kilometres travelled to claim using the cents per kilometre method.
Phone, Internet & Home Office
- If you need to use phone for work, you can claim the work use %.
- If you need to use your internet for work, you can claim the work use %.
- If you need to take work home with you, and work from a designated office, you can claim the home office running expenses.
*Keep a one month logbook tracking your usage to claim these expenses as a tax deduction.
- If you complete any training or courses directly related to your current role, you can claim the training/course costs.
- You can also claim Travel, Accommodation, Text books/Manuals, Computers, Equipment & Stationery related to the course.
Other Common Work-Related Expenses
- Computers & Laptops*
- Stationery e.g. Pencils, books, pens, diaries etc.
- Union & Professional Association Fees
- Personal Superannuation Contributions
*Computers, Laptops or Equipment that cost over $300. you will have to spread
the tax deduction over a few years.
Uniforms & Laundry
- If you have to wear a uniform for work that has your boss’ logo attached, you can claim the cost of purchasing your uniforms and also washing your uniforms.
- You can claim laundry for washing any work tea towels/handtowels
Our tax blogs:
How do I claim a tax deduction?
Can I claim my uniform as a Tax Deduction
Driving to work - tax deductible?
Golden Tax rules
Our tax videos: