Tax Tips for Personal Trainers

Boost your Tax Refund with these tax deductions!

Tax Tips Personal Trainers may be able to claim on their online income tax return

Uniforms & Laundry
You can claim the cost of purchasing, washing and mending Uniforms that have your employer’s logo permanently attached. 

You cannot claim a deduction for ordinary clothing. E.g. plain gym clothes or joggers. 

Protective Clothing

You can claim the cost of sun protection if you’re working out in the sun for long periods of time e.g.  hats, sunglasses and sunscreen. 

Motor Vehicle Expenses
If you’re travelling from client to client, or from one gym to another, you can claim work-related travel. 

Home to work travel can only be claimed if you’re carrying heavy or bulky equipment (e.g. Exercise Balls, or other exercise equipment) and the equipment cannot be left in a safe place at work; we suggest asking your boss for a letter outlining this, in case the ATO asks questions. 

Keep a diary tracking your kilometres. If you think you will go over 5,000kms keep a 12-week consecutive logbook and all receipts for any car expenses e.g. Rego & Insurance, Repairs, Fuel etc. 

Tools & Equipment
If you have had to purchase tools or gym equipment for work and the expense is under $300, you can claim it outright. If it’s over $300, you’ll need to spread the expense over a few years. 

Other Work-Related Expenses
You may also be able to claim the following expenses:

  • Tax Agent Fees

  • Income Protection Insurance

  • Special licences

  • Books or Publications that directly relate to improving your current role 

  • Stationery

  • Mobile Phone and/or Internet (Keep a one-month logbook tracking your work calls and work use) 

Need logbooks? All of our logbooks come with instructions and the calculations required to work out your work use percentage! You can find these inside your tax return.

Our Tax Blogs - 
Our Tax Videos -