Tax Tips for Hospitality Workers

Serve yourself some sweet tax deductions to boost your tax refund...

Tax Tips Hospitality Workers may be able to claim on their online income tax return

Other Common Work-Related Expenses​

  • Chef knives
  • Cooking utensils
  • Waiters’ friend
  • Stationery
  • Cash shortages
  • Books, Magazines or Journals that will
  • improve or maintain your current skills
  • Sun protection—if you’re required to work out
  • in open functions
  • Income Protection Insurance (paid outside
  • your super fund)
  • Union & membership Fees
  • Donations
  • Tax Agent Fees

Uniforms & Protective Clothing

You may be able to claim purchase and laundry costs for:

  • Uniforms (that have your works logo permanently attached)
  • Specific clothing e.g. chefs pants
  • Protective clothing e.g. Aprons, Gloves & Hair nets

Car Expenses

You can claim your work-related travel if:

  • You need to travel to run errands for work e.g. collect supplies, travel from one venue to another etc.*
  • If you need to travel from one workplace to the next e.g. to a second job*

*to claim your car expenses you need to keep a 12 week consecutive logbook to work out your work-related percentage, or you need to keep a record of the kilometres travelled to claim using the cents per kilometre method.


You can claim the costs associated with courses/training that a directly related to you earning your income within your current role. These may include:

  • Travel costs e.g. car travel, fares, taxi costs
  • Accommodation costs (if you away overnight for study)
  • Course fees (not HECS/HELP loans)
  • Exam costs
  • Text books/journal costs
  • Stationery
  • Computers or Equipment costs* e.g. Printers, tablets etc.
  • Home Office running expenses
  • Internet Expenses*

*Keep a one month logbook tracking your usage to claim these expenses as a tax deduction.
**Computers, Laptops or Equipment that cost over $300 will have to spread the tax deduction over a few years.

Remember the ATO’s 3 Golden Rules for
claiming a tax deduction:

  • You must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
  • It must be directly related to earning your income
  • You must have a record to prove it

Our Tax Blogs - 

Can I Claim my Uniform on my Tax Return?

Can I Claim Driving to work on my Tax?

Lemon Tax Rules

Our Tax Videos - 

Self-Education Tutorial