Tax Tips for Advertising & Sales Reps

Boost your tax refund with these tax deductions...

Online Tax Deductions Advertisers can claim on their Income Tax Return

Uniforms & Laundry

You can claim the cost of purchasing, washing and mending Uniforms that have your employer’s logo permanently attached.

Motor Vehicle Expenses

You can claim work-related travel e.g. visiting customers to sell a product, attending meetings that are outside the workplace. 

You can also claim car expenses for travelling from one job directly to a second job. 

Home to work travel is not tax deductible. 

Keep a diary tracking your kilometres. If you think you will go over 5,000kms keep a 12-week consecutive logbook and receipts for any car expenses e.g. Rego & Insurance, Repairs, Fuel etc.

Tools & Equipment
These may include: 

Headphones or Webcams for virtual sales calls 

If the expense is under $300, you can claim it outright.
If the expense is over $300, you’ll need to spread the expense over a few years.

Don’t worry – we do all the maths for this, all you need is the date you bought the item and how much it was. 

Home Office

If you have to work from home, and from a designated office keep a one-month logbook to claim home office running expenses which include:

You can also claim: 

Computers & Laptops (using the same rule as tools and equipment)
Mobile Phone use (Keep a one-month logbook)
Internet Use (Keep a one-month logbook)
Printers & Printer Ink
Stationery etc. 

Other Work-Related Expenses
You may also be able to claim the following expenses:

  • Tax Agent Fees
  • Union Fees
  • Books or Publications that directly relate to improving your current role 
  • Stationery
  • Accommodation & Overnight travel expenses if you’re required to travel overnight 
  • Mobile Phone and/or Internet (Keep a one-month logbook tracking your work calls and work use) 
  • Course/Training expenses + travel 

Need logbooks? All of our logbooks come with instructions and the calculations required to work out your work use percentage! You can find these inside your tax return. 

Our Tax Blogs -