Tax Tips for Social Workers

Boost your Tax Refund with these tax deductions...

Tax Tips Social Workers may be able to claim on their online income tax return

Uniforms & Laundry
You can claim the cost of purchasing, washing, and mending your uniforms as long as they have your employer’s logo permanently attached. 

You can also claim the cost of dry cleaning your uniforms, make sure you keep your receipts. 

You cannot claim ordinary pants, jeans, skirts, or shoes.

Car Expenses
You can claim work-related travel e.g. travelling from one client to the next and travelling from your final client to home.  

You can also claim car expenses for travelling from one job directly to a second job. 

Home to work travel is not tax deductible. 

Keep a diary tracking your kilometres. If you think you will go over 5,000kms keep a 12-week consecutive logbook and receipts for ANY car expenses e.g. Rego & Insurance, Repairs, Fuel etc. 


If you’re required to attend training courses or seminars that are directly related to your work, and you haven’t been reimbursed, you can claim the cost of the course and travel. You can also claim accommodation and meal expenses if you’re required to stay overnight. 

Other Work-Related Expenses
You may also be able to claim the following expenses:

  • Tax Agent Fees

  • Mobile Phone and/or Internet use (Keep a one-month logbook tracking your work calls and work use) 

  • Stationery and Diaries

Need logbooks? All of our logbooks come with instructions and the calculations required to work out your work use percentage! You can find these inside your tax return. 

Our Tax Blogs - 
Our Tax Videos -