Tax Tips for Construction Workers

Let's build, build and build! Learn more about these tax deductions...

Tax Tips Construction Workers may be able to claim on their online income tax return

Uniforms & Laundry
You can claim the cost of purchasing, washing and mending Uniforms that have your employer’s logo permanently attached. 

You cannot claim a deduction for ordinary clothing. E.g. plain janes or jackets.

Protective Clothing

You can claim the cost of sun protection if you’re working out in the sun for long periods of time e.g.  hats, sunglasses and sunscreen. 

You can also claim Protective/PPE items e.g. 

- Hard Hats
- Steel Cap Boots
- High Vis Wear
- Protective Glasses
- Ear Muffs

Motor Vehicle Expenses
If you’re travelling from jobsite to jobsite, you can claim work-related travel. 

Home to work travel can only be claimed if you’re carrying heavy or bulky equipment (e.g. a large tool box or ladder) and the equipment cannot be left in a safe place at work; we suggest asking your boss for a letter outlining this, in case the ATO asks questions. 

Keep a diary tracking your kilometres. If you think you will go over 5,000kms keep a 12-week consecutive logbook and all receipts for any car expenses e.g. Rego & Insurance, Repairs, Fuel etc. 

Tools & Equipment
If you have had to purchase tools or equipment for work and the expense is under $300, you can claim it outright. If it’s over $300, you’ll need to spread the expense over a few years. 

Other Work-Related Expenses
You may also be able to claim the following expenses:

  • Tax Agent Fees

  • Union Fees

  • Donations

  • Income Protection Insurance

  • Special licences

  • Medical Exams for the special licences

  • Stationery

  • Mobile Phone and/or Internet (Keep a one-month logbook tracking your work calls and work use) 

Need logbooks? All of our logbooks come with instructions and the calculations required to work out your work use percentage! You can find these inside your tax return. 

Our Tax Blogs - 
Our Tax Videos -