Tax Blogs

Delayed Tax Return - Outstanding Debts

August 11, 2023

What happens if I still owe the ATO money?

If you have an outstanding debt with the ATO or another government agency (e.g. Centrelink or Child Support) your tax return may be delayed while the relevant agency assesses the information provided in your tax return.

Delayed tax return overdue debts

We touched briefly on this topic in our previous blog Dodgy Deductions. If the debt is legitimate and is required to be paid, the agency recovering the debt will deduct the outstanding amount from your refund.

What if I can’t afford to pay my tax debt upfront?

The ATO can assist you with setting up a payment plan to allow you enough time to pay off your tax debt. This is usually done through an automated telephone service – the number for this is 13 28 65.

Before phoning – make sure you have your TFN and an estimate of what you can afford to repay over a 12 month period.

If you have trouble entering into a payment plan via the telephone service, you will be transferred to someone to assist you.

Things to note when entering into a payment plan

  • You may be charged General Interest Charges (GIC)
  • If you miss a payment, your payment plan will be automatically null and void
  • You must meet your tax lodgment obligations every year on time

Never miss a tax deduction again and get the tax refund you’re entitled to!

Quick Return $10, Tax Return with the lot $64.95 and if it’s your first time, you can do it for FREE!



Easy Online Tax Returns

For more reasons why your tax return may be delayed, click the links below:

Delayed Tax Returns - Cross Checks
Delayed Tax Returns - Dodgy Deductions
Delayed Tax Returns - Stolen TFN
Delayed Tax Returns - Client Records

Note that the information provided is general in nature and subject to change, please contact one of our professionals who can evaluate your circumstances and provide more accurate advice to your current situation.


Leave a Comment