Dig your way to a great tax refund for Miners with these tax deductions...
Common Work-Related Expenses
- Tools & Equipment e.g. Power/Battery/
- Manual Tools, Laptops, Computers, Tablets*
- Annual Memberships or Union Fees
- Licence renewals for operating machinery (not including your drivers licence)
- Overtime meal expenses (if you receive an allowance and it’s on your Payment Summary or Pay Slips)
- Travel expenses (if you have to travel away from home are not at your usual place of work)
- Sun Protection e.g. Sun hats, sunglasses, sun-screen if you have to work outside.
- Tax Agent Fees
- Donations to “Deductible Gift Recipients”**
- Income Protection Insurance (Paid outside your Super)
Uniforms & Protective Clothing
You can claim purchase and laundry costs for your uniform if:
- It has your bosses logo permanently attached.
- Is specific to your job
- Protective clothing e.g.
- High vis wear e.g. Vests, shirts, trousers
- Steel-cap boots
- Hard hats
- Safety glasses
- If you complete any training or courses that will improve or maintain your skills directly related to your current role, you can claim the training/course costs.
- You can also claim travel, stationery, text books/manuals, laptops/computers used for study.
- If you needed to use your car to travel to meetings, conferences, or your training (as mentioned above in self-education), you can claim the car expenses or kilometres, depending on the kilometres travelled.
Keep a 12 week logbook tracking your odometer readings, kilometres, where and why you travelled, to work out your work use % and then we’ll work out whether it’s best to claim your kilometres or your car expenses.
*Computers, Laptops, Tools or Equipment that cost over $300 will have to spread the tax deduction over a few years.
** Your tax invoice will tell you whether your donation can be claimed as a tax deduction.
Remember the ATO’s 3 Golden Rules for claiming a tax deduction:
- You must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
- It must be directly related to earning your income
- You must have a record to prove it
Our Tax Blogs -
Can I Claim my Uniform on my Tax Return?
Can I Claim Driving to work on my Tax?
Lemon Tax Rules
Our Tax Videos -