Teachers Tax Deductions

Tax Tips for Teachers

Learn about the tax deductions you may be able to claim on your tax return...

Online Tax Returns for Teachers

Common Work-Related Expenses

  • Stationery & Teaching Aids/Resources or materials that were not paid for by the school
  • Computers, Laptops & Other Equipment e.g. Printers, Tablets, Calculators etc.*
  • Annual Teacher Registrations
  • Working with children/blue card applications
  • Union/Membership Fees
  • Personal Superannuation Contributions
  • Books and Professional Libraries that are used to improve or maintain your skills
  • Sun protection e.g. sun hats, sunglasses and sunscreen while out working in the sun on playground duties

*Computers, Laptops or Equipment that cost over $300 will have to spread the tax deduction over a few years.


  • If you complete any training or courses that will improve or maintain your skills directly related to your current role, you can claim the training/course costs.
  • You can also claim Travel, Accommodation, Text books/Manuals, Computers, Equipment & Stationery related to the course.

Phone, Internet, Home Office

  • If you need to use phone for work, you can claim the work use %.
  • If you need to use your internet for work, you can claim the work use %.
  • If you need to take work home with you e.g. to mark exams or write report cards, and work from a designated office, you can claim the home office running expenses.

*Keep a one month logbook tracking your usage to claim these expenses as a tax deduction.

Motor Vehicle Expenses

You can claim a tax deduction for your motor vehicle if:

  • You needed to use your personal car to travel to excursions, camps, school sporting events etc.
  • You are driving between separate workplaces (e.g. to a second job)

*to claim your car expenses you need to keep a 12 week consecutive logbook to work out your work-related percentage, or you need to keep a record of the kilometres travelled to claim using the cents per kilometre method.

Our Tax Blogs - 

What can a teacher claim on their tax?

Tax Returns - Claiming Home Office

Can I Claim Driving to work on my Tax?

Self Education Expenses on your Tax

Our Tax Videos -