Tax Blogs

Tax Deductions | Engineers Income Tax

June 15, 2022

Engineers and Income Tax 

If you are an engineer, then you probably have to spend some hard-earned cash on work stuff.

The good news is, you can claim some of these back as income tax deductions on your etax tax return.

Engineers, boost your tax refund


Now don’t get too excited – first, you need to remember the ATO’s 3 golden rules:

  1. You must have spent the money yourself, and not been given the money back from your boss.
  2. It must be directly related to earning your wage.
  3. You must have a record to prove that you spent the money and what you spent it on – see our record-keeping blog for more info

Now that we have the rules out of the way – these are some of the common deductions an engineer may be able to claim:

  • Professional Registration Fees

  • Union Fees

  • Technical journals or books

  • Car expenses for work travel

  • Stationery

  • Home Office (If you need to work from home and you work in an office – you can’t work at your kitchen table)

  • Equipment/Depreciation (If you don’t use it 100% for work, you need to work out how much is work use and how much is personal)

  • Mobile phone and/or Internet

  • Course/Study Expenses

  • Clothing – this needs to have the company logo on it

  • Protective Equipment e.g. hard hats and sunglasses

You can’t claim

  • Personal clothing and runners
  • Tools or equipment that is not used for work
  • Travel from home to work

When completing your Gotax Online etax return, there will be an option to enter your income tax deductions for any work-related expenses. If you aren’t sure whether you can claim a tax deduction you can give one of our fully qualified tax accountants a call and they can help you out.


Do your tax return right the first time with GoTax Online!

Quick Income Tax return $10, Income Tax returns with the lot $49 and if it’s your first time,

you can do it for FREE!

Start your tax return

Note that the information provided is general in nature and subject to change, please contact one of our professionals who can evaluate your circumstances and provide more accurate advice to your current situation.


Leave a Comment